Chemically they're exactly the same. Both Natural Diamonds and Lab Grown Diamonds are made out of one element, carbon.
3) What are the other benefits to purchasing a Lab Grown Diamond?
- Sustainability - Our diamonds are sustainably grown aboveground, primarily in USA. Avoiding the vast human & environmental toll of mining. No land displaced, No ground water polluted, No wildlife displaced and No communities displaced.
- More affordable -Get a larger, higher quality stone. Lab Grown Diamonds are about 60% less expensive then natural.
- Conflict free - All of our diamonds are sourced from certified laboratories insuring that no conflicts were funded, environments disrupted or humans displaced in the creation of these stones.
- Unique - Each diamond forms in its own way, with one-of-a-kind inclusions and unique growth patterns. No two diamonds are alike. Each is unique to the core. Our diamonds are certified with their unique gemological ID. Certified by the top laboratories in the world
4) How do Lab Grown Diamonds compare to Natural Diamonds?
They have the same optical, chemical, thermal, and physical features making them indistinguishable from one another.
5) So what is the difference?
Where they are formed and how long it takes. While Natural diamonds form in the earth under super high temperature and pressure, Lab grown diamonds are formed above ground in a laboratory under the same super high temperature and pressure characteristics. Natural diamonds take 1-3 million years to form in the earth while Lab grown diamonds take a slightly shorter timeframe of about 1-3 months.
6) How can we tell the difference between the two?
They are indistinguishable when viewed by the naked eye or standard 10X loupe. All certified Lab and Natural Diamonds are laser inscribed indicating their origin. A trained gemologist can tell when viewed under a 60x magnification. The inclusions in Lab Grown Diamonds are slightly different from diamonds formed underground.
7) How are Lab Grown Diamonds Graded as compared to Natural Diamonds?
Lab Grown diamonds are graded by same exact standards as Natural Diamonds by the worlds top grading laboratories. We primarily offer diamonds graded by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), regarded in the industry as the Gold standard for Grading. All stones come with a certificate of authenticity and are laser inscribed on the girdle for reference.
“They are real diamonds. They have the same optical, chemical, thermal, and physical features.”
Matthew Hall, Director, Gemological Institute of America (GIA).
“Manmade diamonds are diamonds.”
Federal Trade Commission, August 2018.
"Mined diamonds are a gift of nature whereas man-made diamonds are a gift of human wisdom.”
Shanghai Diamond Exchange’s President Qiang Lin.